Saturday, July 23, 2016

The Utah Half: Toughman Half Ironman (Relay) July 16, 2016

I don't know why, but I've been having such a hard time getting my race reports written up soon after the race.  I'm going to go ahead and blame it on the heat... and maybe my lack of sleep.  But alas, I'm getting around to the Utah Half Toughman (half ironman relay) that I participated in, as a relay team, with my friends and teammates, Michelle and Mary, last Saturday.  We signed up as the SLTC Bee Babes (which was the name we had at St. George 70.3, but with our teammate Chanda on the bike). 

Friday night, I stayed over at my best friends' (John & Jessica) apartment down in Sandy.  That way, I didn't have to get up at 4 am to head down to Utah Lake.  Instead, I was able to sleep in until about 530am (I attempted to get up at 5am, but my body just didn't want to) and then head down to the race site.  The local half ironman triathlon, put on by the local race company RaceTri, took place at Utah Lake in Provo, Utah.


I met up with my team at the lake.  It was looking overcast that morning, and I was hoping it would stay that way, but it didn't.  It was bright and sunny, like expected.  Mary was already there, and she had set up in transition.  Michelle and I just needed to orient ourselves with that location, as we were to meet Mary there: Michelle, after the "swim" and me: after Mary's bike.

The swim ended up getting cancelled due to the gross, toxic "algae bloom" that contaminated the water.  So, RaceTri substituted the swim for a 1.2 mile run with an optional "Slip n Slide" for those who still wanted to get wet.

The race started about 7:45am, a little later than we were supposed to start, but we had to get instructions for the changes in the race (and the awesome inspirational speech Aaron usually gives prior to the race start)!

Michelle was our swim leg, so she went off first.  She then tagged off to Mary, who went off for the 56 mile bike.  While the bikers were off, the runners sat around and napped, warmed up, chatted, and got nutrition ready. 



Mary really booked it!  Before I knew it, it was time to head out for the run.

The run consisted of two loops around the Provo/Jordan River Trail.  As I went off, it was already hot.  I felt good for the first loop, but I noticed there was a pain in my foot that felt like it radiated up to my right hip.  I loved seeing my teammates out there, as well all the amazing triathletes!  I really do believe that being out there with these athletes fuels my inspiration to do better!  Marianne and Bill caught up to me and invited me to run/walk with them.  I kept up with them for awhile, until I felt cramps in my calves starting to bubble.  I knew if I didn't slow down, that I'd be done.  So they ran ahead, and I went my own pace again.  It kinda stunk that I wasn't able to stay with them, as Marianne just made the time pass!  She really provided some fun entertainment!

At the end of the first loop, I got to see Mary!  It was so fun seeing her there!  I was doing pretty good and on pace to finish around 2:30ish.  And then... the pain in my leg got worse.  It just shot up my leg!  I had to really slow down.  I tried to keep my mind occupied so I wouldn't think about it, but the heat really started to beat down in the areas that weren't covered by trees.  There were also little pockets of heat that would punch you in the face!  So I chatted with other triathletes along the way.  It helped when I was really hurting.  Before I knew it, I was finally rounding the corner into the parking lot back at the lake!  When I hit the grass to the finish line, I saw Mary and Michelle!  They helped run me in!  It was so fun crossing the line together!  Thanks for letting me be part of this awesome relay team, gals!  Love you both! 


I then hung around and waited for my friend and teammate, Jennie, who was on our other SLTC female relay team.  She had twisted her ankle on the second loop of the half marathon, and she pushed through (on top of other mental negativity she was facing - witnessing people cheating, etc).  She is such a trooper, and I'm so honored to call her my friend!  Congrats Jennie!





Props to my running buddy, Xena, for finishing her second half marathon today! :)




2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Bee Babes!!! You inspire me to keep training and enjoying every moment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete