Sunday, April 8, 2018

Fireside with Al Carraway

I had a unique opportunity to go to a fireside tonight with Al Carraway, also known as "The Tattooed Mormon."  I was feeling a little under the weather, so I almost talked myself out of it, but I'm glad I mustered up the energy to go.

What a character she is!  She was a breath of fresh air with her animated bearing of her testimony.  And what an amazing story of faith and hope, even through all the hardships she endured.  I really connected with her on an emotional level, maybe partially due to the fact that I'm a convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as well.  She shared her story of how she came to meet the missionaries, as well as how she came to Utah.  It was a story I knew all too well, as Ezra and I did the same thing 6 years ago now (pack up and move to Utah with necessities, and no certainty of where we would live of how we were going to provide for our family. But the Lord provided).

Hearing her story restored my testimony, as I've been feeling so numb and lonely as of late... asking WHY?  Why is life so hard?

What I took away from today's fireside isn't new, but it was a good reminder of things I needed to hear.  In the scriptures we are always told to "remember, remember," and that is what I needed... to remember.

Here are some bullet take away points from tonight:

  • The Spirit speaks, but it's up to US  to Listen.
  • CHOOSE: To keep going. To change your perspective. God.  Or... not.  Ultimately, the choice is yours in whatever you decide.
  • CHANGE:  your perspective.
  • TRY: Because you may find yourself in places you never thought you'd be, or going places you never thought you would.
  • Hard times will always be there, but so will Christ!
  • Embrace the unexpected!
  • GO FORTH!
  • God IS mindful of you!
She also said, "I wouldn't have a single thing right now if it weren't for God."  How true!  Sometimes I forget to give gratitude to my omnipotent Father in Heaven for blessing me many times over.  No matter how bad I'm feeling about myself from the mistakes I've made, I wouldn't even be close to where I am today, and would have nothing without God.  Thank you, Al, for reminding me how truly blessed I am and how good I have it.  Your testimony has allowed the Spirit to touch my heart once again and allow me to choose to keep moving forward in faith.  From one convert to another, much love, sister!

Photo Cred: https://ldsmag.com/more-than-the-tattooed-mormon-the-story-of-al-fox-carraway/

No comments:

Post a Comment