Friday, January 16, 2009

Enduring to the End...

Last night we learned a valuable lesson at Institute. Our institute teacher, Brother Monson, read us the story "The Nightingale and the Rose," by Oscar Wilde. For those of you wanting to read it, here's the link: http://www.literaturecollection.com/a/wilde/330/

We then proceeded to read Mark, Chapters 14-16 (The Atonement) and discussed it in detail.

Institute was then finished off with an object lesson. Brother Monson needed a volunteer with 4 characteristics:
1. The person cannot be a quitter
2. Strength is a factor
3. The person should have a high threshold for pain
4. The motive in being the volunteer must be pure.

I volunteered myself. I'm not a big fan of getting up in front of people and doing things, but I could say that I would go through pain and suffering for my friends. Besides, they had been my family away from my family when I felt alone. Why not?

The rewards: Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

The Challenge: 5 push-ups for everyone in the room

The Twist: 5 push-ups whether they wanted the doughnut or not.

Some said they didn't want one because they didn't want to see me suffer. When they figured out the purpose, some said Yes, and sometimes they wanted even 2 doughnuts! I paid the price for both the Yes'es and the No's... and double if they asked for seconds. My muscles started to grow weak, for I had to go all the way down and touch my nose to the floor and come back up. At one point I felt like I couldn't bring myself back up from the down position. But nobody could help me. I had do to this on my own. I volunteered myself. And it didn't matter whether they said yes or no. We got around 3/4 of the classroom, but I didn't have anything left.

This lesson ends in failure for everyone who attempts. It usually results in fatigue and pain, but nothing even close to what the Savior endured for us. He endured more pain that we can ever imagine just because He loved us... and He had to do it alone. Even Heavenly Father, Himself, could not be there while Jesus Christ died on the cross. Jesus asked for prayers that He might not fail. But those He asked fell asleep. He didn't have to suffer for us, but He wanted us to be happy.

We cannot physically endure the pains Christ suffered for us. Nobody, except he, would have been able to. He was chosen and gave his life for us.

I'm so grateful for the Atonement and how it has changed my life. For many times I fell, but have been forgiven and cleansed. Let us always remember the eternal gift of the Atonement... the ultimate sacrifice Christ gave us so that we might return to live with our Father in Heaven.




No comments:

Post a Comment