Thursday, January 15, 2009

My First Marathon! 26.2 @ Walt Disney Baby!

Disney World Marathon - Results
Orlando, FL USA
January 11, 2009
Finishers: 14927, Males - 7793 , Females - 7134
Male Winner: 2:20:38 | Female Winner: 2:46:27
Average Finish Time: 5:08:09 | STD: 0:58:21


I had the most amazing weekend at Walt Disney World in sunny Orlando, Florida. I hadn't been to Disney since I was 8 years old, and this time returned to participate in the Walt Disney World Marathon. I got to see Disney in ways many people will never experience it...and all for a Great cause! I joined the Team In Training Marathon team (TNT MD) this season to help raise money for blood cancer research again with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. This year I added quite a few more Personal Honored Teammates to my roster.

The marathon was more than just a race. It was enduring 26.2 miles of pain and doubt. Let me just tell you that it was fun to see all the different theme parks in a different way. The characters were so much fun to see and take pictures with. But it wasn't all fun and games. About 18 miles into the run I started to hurt. My feet started to blister, my stomach wasn't digesting the nutrition I was putting in my body, I was starting to get dehydrated from the heat, and my body was shaking from the pain. I wanted to quit, especially at mile 20 after a pretty big hill. But I only had 6.2 miles to go. How selfish it would have been of me to quit then. I was in such extreme pain and was mentally fatigued (imagine... it was almost a full work day of running). But then I thought about all the cancer patients that fight every single day of their lives and endure harder and more painful trials than what I was experiencing. I thought about all the people I was running for...

The crowd, the characters and other participants helped to re-energize my thoughts and will power. But seeing all the purple jerseys around me and the purpose of why we were out there running helped me push through the doubt I had of finishing (even finishing before the cut off time) and all the pain. I met Wendy, from another Team In Training Chapter. We were both experiencing similar pains... and we vowed to finish together. And that we did.

This was such an emotional experience for me. I admit, I cried after I crossed the finish line. Most people know that I absolutely hate running. I chose the triathlon box from the TNT flyer when I first got involved with the LLS. A marathon was the last thing on my mind. And to cross the finish line at the Walt Disney World Marathon proved to myself that I could do anything... especially after all the turmoil in my life last year. But not only that, I have helped to save lives of thousands of people all over the world and a cure for blood cancers IS turning into a reality!

JOYCELYN CESPEDES, 07:02:55 @ Finish. Pace 16:07 . Walt Disney World Marathon and Half Marathon presented by CIGNA, Disney
Destinations LLC.

Thank you to the real heroes on our team: all the cancer patients and survivors.
Here is my list of Personal Honored Teammates:
*In memory of my cousin, Francis Agana, who lost the battle to Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma while I was still in middle school
*In honor of my uncle, Rey Castillo, a Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor, and a member of the PAMET-VA family
*In honor of Mr. Arthur Feller, a Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma Survivor, who also lost his father to Non-Hodgkins.
*In honor of Mr. Willie Vasser, a family friend and leukemia survivor; and in memory of his son, Brian Vasser, who passed away from leukemia.
*In honor of Mrs. Berry C. Cannon, a cousin's Mother-in-Law and a leukemia survivor.
*In honor of Brother Harold Virgin, a lymphoma survivor and a part of my church family.
*In honor of Benjamin Montano, a family friend and Leukemia survivor.
*In honor of Shauna Mae Cancio, a patient and Leukemia fighter at CHKD in Norfolk, VA.
*In memory of Alex Fernandez, late husband of a family friend who lost the battle to Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. He also lost his brother, Javier to A.L.L.









No comments:

Post a Comment