Friday, July 24, 2015

Deseret New Classic Half Marathon 07.24.15

Happy Pioneer Day, folks!  And you know what that means!  The Deseret News Classic Half Marathon!  I decided to run it again this year!  And I'm so glad I did!

We all started with a really, really, really early wake-up call!  Shuttles left from Rice Eccles Stadium at the University of Utah between 4:15 and 4:45 AM.  We then got shuttled up to Emigration Canyon where we waited until the half marathon start at 6AM.  It was dark and chilly this year, compared to the very warm start last year.  Buses moved along more smoothly than last too!

I ran into one of my favorite running gal pals, Brook!  She's one of my absolute favorites from my Run Aways family.  I totally love her because she saved me from quitting my triathlon career, after a really horrible race I had last year.  She's also a triathlete, and a pretty kick butt soccer player!  She's amazing!  And she always makes my day when I run into her on the race course, whether running or volunteering!  Today she was pacing the 2:30 runners, and she wanted me to run with her.  I totally would have tried to, if my tummy wasn't acting up today.  Not a good way to start, but I'm glad I started off with great friends!

As the gun went off, I decided to take my time.  Last year I started way too quickly, and fried my legs before I hit mile 9.  Today, I stayed at a nice easy pace on the descent.  It was nice to see my favorite apartment buildings at the mouth of the canyon, which I usually see on my bike rides, indicating I'm almost back to my car.  Last year, around the 7 mile mark, my legs started to ache already.  But not this time!  I was feeling pretty good!  I was pacing a few groups along the way... that kept me going at a consistent pace throughout.

I noticed, when I approached the 9 mile mark, that the brutal hills weren't so brutal this time.  Trail running, strength training, yoga, pilates, and my Orange Theory Fitness classes have really helped make me a stronger athlete, altogether.

At mile 10, I looked at my watch and realized that I was making some good time!

I finally reached 200 E, where we turned to head south onto the Pioneer Day parade route.  Lots of people lined the streets, awaiting the parade, and cheering us on as we ran.  It actually felt good!

We turned left onto 900 S and headed toward 700 E.  I could see the finish line... and a Charlie Horse was looming in my right calf.  I took my time.  There was a lady, Andrea, whom I had been playing leap frog with along the way.  We decided to stick together for the last stretch.  I ran into Brother Sosa around 500 E (right near Liberty Park).


When I got to 600 E, I sprinted in to the finish line!  I was so excited to be in one piece, and feeling good (one of my goals in a Mental Prep class I had taken at Wasatch Running last year).


And the coolest part?  I set a new PR for myself!  I beat my time from last year by 8 minutes!  That's pretty huge!  I came in at 2:42.  I haven't really been able to really break 2:50 for awhile...

I thought that maybe I could make it in within the 2:30s, but my tummy and my calf weren't having it today.  That's okay... I'll take 2:42.  I couldn't be more happy with my time!



with Andrea, my new race running friend









No comments:

Post a Comment