Friday, June 20, 2014

What I learned from Triathlons



(For my friend, Sara.  I told you I'd get this to you at some point... years later... lol

I drafted this in 2008, and got around to finishing it in 2013)

The time has come... race time.  Having to get up at the break of dawn to set up my transition area and prepare to enter the water are just the beginnings of it all.  My heart starts to race and the anxiety sets in.

The swim.  It was never my favorite part. 

"I'm a slow swimmer.  Why can't I be a faster swimmer?"  These thoughts consume my focus as I anticipate my wave going off.  The first time I ever swam in open water it was a cold, late April day in Cunningham State Park.  The water was freeeeeeeezing!  The lack of oxygen didn't help my fears of having my head fully submerged in the water and not being able to see anything but the fish poop and green tint from the plant life growing at the bottom of the lake.  How was I ever going to make it through a full triathlon if I couldn't even get to the other side of the lake at this open water training?

My first triathlon wasn't any better.  Not only was it cold, but I was getting kicked in the face and shoved by other triathletes, and the current in the Delaware River was so strong I swallowed water every time I went to breathe.  I felt so alone; so defeated.  But I didn't give up after that one defeat. It wasn't until I ran the Giant Acorn Triathlon (maybe my 7th tri?)  with my friend Sara that I finally found my comfort zone; having worked hard to strengthen my weaknesses.

As I began the swim part of my race, the usual anxiety came to greet me.  I stayed towards the back of my wave pool and let all the others go ahead of me so I could set my own pace.  I still was shoved around and kicked as the next wave caught up to me.  But the water was the perfect temperature, which helped me calm down, and I uttered the mantra "just keep swimming" as my best friend Lori would repeat from "Finding Nemo."  I was in a happy place.  I wasn't going to let anything deter me from finishing my race. 

As I swam I realized a few things about the sport of triathlon... this was a metaphor for life as well.  No matter how much you prepare, there will be times when fear tends to outweigh all that you know you can do.  You'll be trampled on, kicked, and pulled down by others because they don't see you or they don't care enough to move out of the way.  Sometimes the way isn't always clear and the path is not always visible.  The finish line seems unattainable.  The conditions will never be perfect.  There will be those who finish faster than you or are better than you at some things.  Occasionally, you'll have strangers stop and help or encourage you along the way.  But what really matters is that as long as you finish and have those who love and support you by your side, nothing else really matters 

The other two sports (bike and run) can be just as grueling as the swim, especially towards the end.  Nobody can describe those moments when your body starts to cramp and the heat is beating down on you; or when you're winded and just want to see the finish line, but something deep down inside of you keeps pushing you to keep going... just one step in front of the other.  And then the feeling you get when you finally cross that finish line when you've had your doubts.... the medal around your neck is just the icing on the cake.

Triathlon is not a sport for the weak-willed.  It's a sport for those crazy enough to push themselves to the limit.  It's a sport that challenges and demands not only physical and mental strength and endurance, but faith in yourself.  There are areas that you may struggle in, but if you're willing and put in the work, those weaknesses turn into strengths. 

That's what I learned from triathlons.

Lake Montclair Triathlon 2007
Giant Acorn Triathlon 2008 with Simeon & Sara



No comments:

Post a Comment