Sunday, September 7, 2014

T minus 6 days until my first 70.3 (09.06.14)


Today marks one week until my first 70.3.  I'll be running the Ogden Valley Half Iron Distance Triathlon in Huntsville, UT next Saturday, September 13th.  I signed up for this race early this year, but because of how mentally defeated I felt at my last triathlon, I almost talked myself out of running it.  But thanks to the love and support of many family and friends (especially my running family and tri teammates), as well as my stubborn yet determined nature, I'm going to attempt it!

Two blog posts ago, I wrote about my experience at the Jordanelle triathlon.  I was mentally and emotionally defeated, and thought about giving up triathlon altogether.  In talking to one of my teammates after the race, he told me to just give it some time.  He, too, had gone through something similar.  I was almost ashamed to write about my experience because triathlon has been the sport that has gotten me through so much of my turmoil after college.  But yet, I was just about ready to throw in the towel.

I then posted my blog entry in my running group, and got so much support from one particular teammate who just ran a tri that same day.  Thank you, Brook, for convincing me not to give up on this goal of mine!  I also got support from my tri teammates; especially Brandy and Jerry!  And Ezra felt that I could do it (and reminded me that he'd be there to support me)!  Then, my running teammate, Heather, said she'd come cheer me on too!  :)

My running teammate, Jill, posted a group workout to take place at Emigration Canyon this morning.  She, her husband, Mark, and also Elvia are all running their first full marathon next week at Big Cottonwood Canyon.  Hence, the 8 mile run.  Elvia and I talked while we waited for the rest of the party to arrive, and talked about how we almost regretted making the decisions to run these huge races!  She, however, is also the kind of person who always follows through on commitments, not matter what the circumstance.  I'm the same way.  :)  No wonder we're friends!

As we were waiting on this cold morning, we saw rain clouds with lightning striking rather close to the area in which we were going to be running.  But amidst the darkness, a rainbow emerged.




What a gift it was to have this rainbow appear.  My teammate, Brandy, still hadn't arrived, so we headed up the canyon.  She said she'd meet us along the way.  The first few miles are always tough for me with my asthma.  It takes awhile for my lungs to open up.  The wind didn't help today; and of course it was an incline.  Our plan was to run 4 up and 4 down.



I got a picture of the sun peeking out from behind the peaks of the canyon.  So pretty!  I love moments like these!


Brandy finally caught up with me about a mile into the run.  It was a little scary running with all the traffic coming at us, and the very narrow shoulder.  

About half way through our run, the elements kicked in and we got a frigid Utah rain.


We finally made it back in one piece!  Yay!  I'm glad I got to go out for a run today.  It's been an especially stressful week!  And this run made me feel so much better about next week.  I'm so glad I got to train with Brandy today!  And I'm glad I got to be part of Jill's, Mark's, and Elvia's journey to their first marathon!



No comments:

Post a Comment