Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Revelation Still Exists



As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I am afforded the privilege, twice a year, to hear from our beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, his counselors, and numerous other leaders of our church.  These two time during the year take place the first weekends of April and October, and are know better as General Conference.  It is in these meetings that we are able to hear inspired messages as relayed by these men and women, called of God, to relay what God would have us know in this day and age.

It is comforting to know that revelation is not dead.  It still exists.

I heard a talk from Elder Clay Christiansen in May of this year.  He touched on the subject of the Dark Ages and brought up a point which I hadn't considered before.  He mentioned that the Dark Ages came about because people stopped asking questions of God -  because they thought they had all the answers.

Let's think about that for a minute... do we know all the answers?

If we did, why do we tend to find ourselves amidst chaos and uncertainty?  Why do some people find the need for a career change after obtaining a degree?  How do we know the person we want to marry is the right one?  How do we know if the move you're deciding on is right for your family?  Or whether to take the interstate versus the business route on an incredibly rainy day?  etc etc etc... and the list of questions goes on.

I know that revelation still exists in this chaotic world because I've heard that "still small voice" that many people tend to talk about in our church.  I've heard it many times before, more so in a prompting felt within my heart.  I want to talk about one particular experience I had at the Salt Lake Temple back in February of 2012.  We had just moved to Utah at the beginning of February, and I had been submitting job applications since December.  I had applied to every job I could possibly qualify for; and even some that were part time and/or in retail.  It didn't matter at the time.  All I knew was that I needed a job, and quick.  Ezra was lucky enough at the time to have a connection in the ward who helped him land a job.  I was just baffled that with as much experience I had, I wasn't hearing back from any of the positions I applied to.  With a lot of stress and worry, I made my way to the temple to offer up my worries, and hopefully receive answers to my prayers.

Most of the time, I don't get the clarity of a voice telling me exactly what to do or giving me instructions, but more of a burning within my heart (like I had mentioned earlier).  But this time was different.  As I sat in the celestial room, pouring out my heart to Heavenly Father, I heard him tell me "Don't worry, Joyce.  Be patient, my child... I have everything lined up for you.  All you have to do is give me some time."  It was as clear as a conversation Ezra and I would have on any given day.  But that revelation was meant just for me, and only me.  It was a blessing to finally have a confirmation that I could have that kind of experience, and that I need not fear.  It turned out to be true.  A few weeks later, I had my interview at the Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah.  After weeks of waiting, I was hired on in May.

That experience I had in the celestial room that day affirmed that Heavenly Father does know me and knows everything I'm going through.  He does hear me and listen.  And He has a plan for me to succeed, if I but listen.

An important part of being able to hear His voice is to listen.  And often, we let life and the background and static of the world drown out that still small voice in which He uses to communicate with us.  It's so important that we not let life drown out that voice.  We must always be in tune with the Spirit.





I still feel the promptings of the spirit when I face a question, and it makes me smile because I know my Heavenly Father is watching over me.  I hope I can always be in tune with His Spirit and heed its promptings as I face the world head on.

No comments:

Post a Comment