Monday, October 20, 2014

Volunteering at the Salt Lake City Haunted Half 10.18.14




Friday 10.17.14
This past Friday and Saturday, I volunteered with Runtastic Events to help out with the SLC Haunted Half.  I wanted to run this race, but I'm still on a bit of a lazy streak from running.  To be honest, I've been exhausted since my half ironman, so I haven't really wanted to do anything besides lift.

Anyway... after work on Friday, I headed down to Memory Grove to help set up the race course for the half.  Unfortunately, the race director and his some of his staff had to go back to Utah County to pick some stuff up.  So I headed over to packet pickup to help out with everything over there.  I helped put together the age group awards for both the half and the 5k.  And then I went on a food run for everyone.  My shift was supposed to be from 5-10pm, but I agreed to help set up the course, so I stayed way past my shift.  After dinner, I helped update registration/race entries, and then we finally headed back to Memory Grove around 11pm.

There was so much left to do!  We had to set up the finish line area, kids' area, and Spook Alley.  I met a new running/hiking friend there too.  Her name is Erin.  She's from Ohio, and ended up here after a successful internship awhile back.  We set up tents, barricades, and other miscellaneous things.  I finally went home around 1am.  I needed a few hours of sleep if I was going to come back to help at 8am on Saturday.

Saturday 10.18.14

I got up around 6:30am to go pick up my Bountiful Basket this morning.  I dropped it off back at home before heading back up to Memory Grove.  As I walked down to the park, I took a moment to take in the surroundings - the fall colors were rich and gorgeous; and the sun was just starting to kiss the mountain tops.  So picturesque!



I was originally supposed to be at an aid station for the race, but when I found Megan (one of the race directors) at the finish line, I got assigned to do random jobs to help finish up and prepare for the race.   I ran around here and there doing different tasks.  There were members of the Fear Factory cast that came to help out at the race.  Their costumes were pretty creepy!  Some of them helped to hand out medals to the racers when they crossed the finish line, and others were stationed in Spook Alley.



 Closer to race start, I ended up over near the kids' area helping to set up bag check.  I spent a lot of time with another new friend I met, Denise.  We took all the bags that were collected at the race start, and arranged them as best we could.  There wasn't much time before the racers started coming in.  Wow!  This job was no joke!


It was kind of fun volunteering back at bag check.  I didn't get to see my friends cross the finish line, but I did catch a few of them when they came to pick up their bags!  (I saw my friends: Natalie, Sonja, Heather, Monte, and London).





As we were helping people find their bags, I noticed Joshua's drop bag!  He was sweeping the course, so I knew he'd be one of the last ones to pick up his bag.  So I decided to grab it and bring it over to him when there were only a few bags left.  As I picked up his bag, Denise said he knew Joshua too!  I asked her if she was on the Run Aways, but she wasn't.  I was shocked!  Joshua always adds new people to the Run Aways!  So I got her number (also to text her the picture we took after organizing those bags), and I told her I'd add her to our group!

We met Joshua at the finish line area as we took the remaining bags to the race directors.  His costume fit the part he paced!  Sweeper!  And he totally carried that broom with him the whole way!  I love it!!!!!!

Joshua, the "sweeper."

I had so much fun today being, once again, on the other side of the race... behind the scenes.  It really does feel great to give back to the community as a way of showing my gratitude for those who volunteered at the races I ran.  It isn't an easy job... especially when you get yelled at for something you have no control over.

And you meet new, fun friends!  I found out later, as I went to add Denise to our group, that she not only knew Joshua, but my brother-in-law too!  Small world!

Now... do I run the Haunted Half next week?  Or do I wait until the Thankful 13?  Decisions....





No comments:

Post a Comment