Friday, November 28, 2014

Race Recap: Thankful 13 Half Marathon, Thanksgiving 11.27.14

I ran the Thankful 13 half marathon this morning!  And I got to run it with some great friends!

Sonja, Joshua, and I with the Runtastic Events Staff!


Last year, I ran the 5k, so I really wanted to run the half this year.  I ended up signing up back in October.  I was little apprehensive at first because it was so cold last year.  But I've been trying to build my mental toughness and run throughout the winter.  Since I've been running in older weather than I'd like to, the Thankful 13 was no biggie!

Sonja was kind enough to pick me up this morning, on her way down to Lehi.  It was fun getting to chat with her and Joshua before the race.  We got to the starting line and our Run Aways family slowly started trickling in.  I met a new friend, Marifi, as we were waiting for everyone to arrive as well.  She's so sweet!


Some of my Run Aways family


 Members of the National Guard were there to present colors and start off our race!  It was very touching!



National Guard starting off our race
Janet and I at the starting line

























My plan was to run with Marifi, but we lost track of one another as she ran to the bathroom and as we gathered in the corral.  As the gun went off, I filed in and went on my way.  I was hoping I'd catch up to Marifi at some point, but I never found her.  I was keeping up with the 2:40 pacer for awhile, but I got distracted.  Along the trail I saw some beautiful horses and a donkey.  Of course I stopped for a picture.  And the horse came right up to the fence and let me pet it! 







By that time, the pacer moved further and further away from me.  I ran into Marisa, who flew by!  Man, is she fast!  And such a trooper!  Her knee was bugging her, but she was cruising right along!  So, I chose one lady who was ahead of me going strong to keep pace with.  I later found out her name - Maria.  We played a passing game for awhile.

The course was mainly flat with some rolling hills and some AMAZING scenery.  My mother-in-law's favorite mountain is featured in the background.



Around mile 8, I ran into Denise.  We walked along for a little while and then she ran ahead.  The cold air was aggravating my asthma and the muscles near my shin were getting tight.  At this point, the 2:40 pacer was nowhere in sight, but according to my watch, I was on pace for a 2:40 finish.  Around mile 9, a girl asked if she could use my phone to call her husband.  Her name was Megan.  She was in a lot of pain at that point.  So, since my muscles were a bit tighter than I liked, and she was in a lot of pain, I decided to give up my hopes of PR'ing and walk with her instead.  We chatted and shared racing experiences.  She was another new friend I made today.  We walked until the last downhill before the finish line.  And we just made the 3:00 hour cutoff time - in time to see the kids lined up for their fun run!  Helping Megan cross that finish line meant more to me than getting my PR today.  It was a reflection of the real reason we were celebrating today - Thanksgiving. 




I finally caught up with Marifi at the finish line!  And we took pictures together (I'm bummed I didn't get a picture with Megan)!

Marifi and I

With one of the National Guard handing out medals





Then I caught up with my Run Aways family once again...


And we waited for Elsha and Joshua to finish.

Run Aways with the Elshanator

Elsha - the Elshanator



We also caught up with Megan and David from the Runtastic Events staff and snapped a picture with them!  They're so awesome and put on such amazing races!

The Thankful 13 was one in which there was so much to be grateful for!  I got to meet more of my Run Aways family and run the race with them.  I made two new friends!  I was grateful to have our brave members of the National Guard to bless us with their presence at the race.  I'm grateful for the beautiful weather and the gorgeous scenery.  I'm grateful for the horse that let me pet it!  I'm grateful for the pumpkin pie and pumpkin bundt cake after the race.  I'm grateful that I was able to help one of my friends cross the finish line.  And I'm grateful that I got to spend time with family and friends today!




Thanks Runtastic Events for taking time out of your holiday to put on this fabulous race!  See you at the Frigid 5k in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment