Saturday, November 15, 2014

Yellow Fork Canyon Trail training run 11.15.14


My running group planned another trail run today, this time at Yellow Fork Canyon.  The original plan for Heather and I was to go 17 miles.  But, we decided later on to scale back and go 8-10 miles.








 I got up at 5:30am this morning to get ready to run.  I checked the weather forecast... and yes, snow it is!  I'm thinking... what the heck did I get myself into?  There's no turning back now.. I've already committed... and Alberto was on his way to pick me up for our carpool!


We were running a little bit late, but Robert texted me back to say he'd wait.  We got there and donned our gear.  Again, it was really hard for me to gauge what to wear since it was snowing!  I didn't want to end up sopping wet either.  
 


I was excited Brandy got to join us too!  :)
Heather, Me, Brandy


There were 15 of us to go out today.  Some of us were from the Run Aways, and some of us were from Run4Fun.  Some of us are from both groups.  



This run was definitely a lot harder than last week's Coyote Hollow run.  It didn't help that it was snowing either!  The first half of the run was pretty much all uphill.  And in the snow.  It felt much like running in sand.  But the scenery was beautiful and made it much easier to keep moving forward.


Towards the middle of the run, the snow started falling faster.  Don't you just love my frosted eyebrows?













The run was tough, but I'm glad Heather didn't let me quit!  We were supposed to go 8-10 miles today, but as we were heading up to the steep part, the early group going 17 miles had turned around.  We thought they were part of our group, so Heather, Brandy, Alberto, and I turned around too.  It was quite windy up there too, so we weren't sure if the rest of our group would go to the top either.  By the time we realized they were still heading to the top, we were about a mile away from where we headed back down.  So, we cut our run short and headed back to our cars.

I also wanted to share my thoughts on the SmartWool pants I recently invested in... holy cow!  They were so nice!  They kept my legs nice and toasty throughout the whole run!  It was a little cold once you stopped (since the wind was blowing), but they do make some with windproof material in them too.  I'm thrilled!  And... they don't hold in STANK!  Looking forward to acquiring more of the line to help me trudge through winter training!


And... my Altra Paradigms did pretty well in the snow today too!

Looking forward to more winter trail runs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment